Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Soothing Seascapes


"Kohala Coast" © Tien Frogget

I don’t know about you, but I think some of the most peaceful scenes that I see depicted in art and photography are seascapes. There’s just something about the ocean that tugs at so many of us, deep in our hearts. The serenity of foamy waves along sandy shores… the figure of a child building a sand castle… the familiar colors of crimson and peach and violet dripping watercolors into the horizon at sunset… all of these things return us to our own seascapes that live inside of us.

"On The Horizon" © Steve Henderson

The ocean reminds us that we are connected to everything around us. That which once seemed so far away moves closer somehow. Other cultures and people wait and watch from distant shores. Seabirds take wing overhead as a wild salty spray dashes itself against the rocks like an unrequited lover, and footprints in the sand are washed away gently, slowly.

"Chrome Nautilus" © Peter Treiber

"San Diego Sunset" © Tien Frogget

It is no great wonder, then, that seascapes are one of the most sought-after subjects for art. Many people feel this connection with the ocean, the deep peace that rides only on waves, and love being able to bring that into their home or environment.

"Evening Light" © Richard Harpum

"Siletz Bay" © Steve Henderson

I remember the first time I saw the ocean. I was 11 years old, and had just moved to Southern California from Utah, where I was born and raised. It was late at night, and even though we were tired from sitting on seat springs for hours on end, we decided to go to the beach before we turned in for the day. Excitement hummed under my skin like tiny insects on a mild caffeine buzz.
"Yin Yang Beach" © Tien Frogget
I remember standing there in the sand, looking out over a midnight moonlit ocean and feeling so tiny. The immensity of it grabbed me by the heartstrings and sent my soul galloping off, wild with joy. Who knew this great glassy field stretched on to infinity, a seeming mirror of sky of stars above us? Certainly not me.

"Pacific Clouds" © Steve Henderson

It was the beginning of a lifelong love affair with the ocean. We have an understanding, she and I: we expect nothing of one another except a mutual, undying adoration. We both change with the tides, living through storms and sunny days alike, ever-constant in our state of flux. And some afternoons, we swim together under the same sun.

"Raw Storm" © Richard Harpum

"Seagulls 3" © Tien Frogget

No comments: